Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And Baby Makes Three...




With patience and faith we waited for our miracle. And now with love, we joyfully announce the arrival of our angel… Avery Marie… born July 6, 2008 at 12:45 pm...6lbs 13 ounces, 19 inches long.
We started this new adoption journey last May (2007) with Bethany Christian Service, and here we are almost a year later and at last… we are a forever family. God is so amazing.

****************************************************************
We were accepted into Bethany’s domestic infant adoption program in June 2007. We started classes with Bethany in November of 2007 and completed those in January 2008. After completing the classes we had to put together a profile/scrapbook for Bethany to show birth moms and dads. This profile would also be available on Bethany’s website under “Family Profiles”. We completed our profile around the end of February early March and then we started the wait. “The Wait” ... sound familiar, this was very familiar to us but we seemed to be much better at this… God teaches us lessons and so many times we don’t even realize they are happening, what an awesome God.
In April 2008 we received an email from Bethany with an adoption opportunity… would we be interested in Bethany showing our profile??? The birth mom was Hispanic (she is from Guatemala). Phillip and I prayed about this… on May 1, 2008 we emailed Bethany back and said… yes, we were interested. May 13, 2008…we received “The Call”. We had been chosen by the birth mom. I can not put into words the joy and excitement we felt and we could not get over how fast it had happened considering we had just submitted our profile in March… (Gods time, not ours. : )
On May 22, 2008 we met the birth mom, such a blessing to have had that opportunity. We were told during this visit that the baby was due June 30, 2008… everyone was certain the baby would come early at least 2 weeks early. The early date was based on the one ultra sound that the birth mom had. We went on vacation June 7 and felt sure we would get the call to head back home for the birth… No call. : ( June 26th rolled around and we were getting a little nervous since everyone thought the baby would come early, so we called Bethany and they set up another meeting with the birth mom. We met the birth mom on June 28th and it was another wonderful visit. We were able to get pictures of the birth mom and her 18 month old daughter and were also able to get pictures of all of us together. This was such a blessing, one day we will be able to show Avery her birth mom.
July 3, 2008 we received a call from Bethany rep, the birth mom was having pain and was headed to the hospital… oh my, this is really happening. After getting to the hospital the birth mom was sent home due to only being dilated to 1 1/2…. but we found out based on the ultra sound that… “It’s a Girl”
On July 6th Bethany called at 7:30am to inform us that the birth mom was going back to the hospital. Bethany's rep told us to sit tight and they would call once they had more information… "birth mom dilated to a 4, they are keeping her." Phillip insisted we go to church to keep our minds off things; I wanted to stay by the phone. I kept my phone on vibrate during church, but nothing happened. After church I walked to the car realizing I had 2 voice mails (cell phones are not all they are cracked up to be)… We needed to get to the hospital!! I was trying to get Phillip to come on and he is in the parking lot trying to get a one pitch ball game up for Friday night : ) I told him, “Phillip, we need to go… We need to go now”. So off we went to the hospital. We were going to have a baby…


The ride to the hospital was terrible; it rained so hard that we could only go down the interstate 50-55 miles an hour. I just wanted to get to the hospital! Bethany’s rep called and told me the birth mom was dilated to a 7 and she wanted me in the delivery room. I wanted to be in there so bad but the rain kept me from seeing our beautiful daughter born… but she was here… Talking to the Bethany rep on the phone she told us she was here and that she was beautiful, but…she was born with a cleft palate and cleft lip. http://www.choa.org/default.aspx?id=779 Talking to the Bethany's rep my facial expression changed when she told me the news… Phillip asks me, “is something is wrong”? I just shook my head yes. After I got off the phone I told him what was wrong and this is what he asks me… “Is she healthy?” I said yes and he said… “That is all that matters”. I love this man so much. The next thing he said to me I will always remember… “Gina, don’t you think it would be selfish of us to not take this child because she has something wrong with her mouth, something that can be corrected” Wow, what an amazing man my husband is, so lucky to have him by my side for the last 18 years.
********************************************************************
We waited to start a blog until after our 10 day wait was up... It's official the 10 days are up today7-17-08. The birth mom had 10 days to change her mind or keep her original adoption plan. We would like to thank each and every one of you that prayed for us with us and for Baby Avery. We love you all!!

Please journey with us on our new blog... God Bless

25 comments:

Palmers said...

Dear Gina and Phillip,
I get chills everytime I read your story.....I am so happy for both of you and can't think of a more deserving couple! Avery is beautiful and a very lucky little girl. I can't wait to meet her and Dean will love to hug her! Savor every moment, it goes by so quickly.

Love you all (3)
Michelle/Todd/Dean

Sherri & Tim said...

I am sobbing as I read this! I have prayed for you both for so long.... ever since the day we met you both in Saratov. God is simply amazing & your journey was long but so right! What a beautiful little girl

We've since adopted a 2nd child from Kazakhstan & will return for court on July 31st to adopt a little girl from Moscow.

I need to find a kleenex and my boys are looking at me like I'm crazy. Thank you God for the amazing journey of adoption!

Sherri, Tim, JC, Jacob and soon Baby Jill Giddens

Sherri Hudgins said...

Dear Gina & Phillip,

Ahhhh how precious is Avery Marie Popham! She is, oh, she is!! I agree with you both that God is so good! He doesn't make any mistakes and it is so special that He gave her to you two. We are so excited that you are finally a family of three! Can't wait to see you on Sunday!

Well, I better go clean off my face because after reading your precious blog, I have mascara running down my face...eek!

Sherri & Mike Hudgins

Well, I better

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for the three of you and the miracle you have in your life. Avery is a blessed child to have you two for parents and I am sure the blessings will go both ways. My prayers are with you as you move to the next stage of the adoption journey. With love to all of you,
Donna

Hodges Five said...

OH MY!!! We are so happy for the three of you! We think about y'all often and have prayed for y'all since I met you...my stranger in Wal-Mart! LOL!

We had no idea! This is so exciting to read!!!!

Avery is absolutly beautiful!!!

Send me an email, we would love to come meet Miss Avery!!!

For I know the plans I have for you, delcares the Lord, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Love,
Brandi Hodges

Anonymous said...

Gina and Phillip, I am so amazed by your faith!!! God has put you in all our paths for us to realize with enduring faith all things are possible. I am just so happy for you. She is so wonderful and what a great life this little girl will have. I am blessed to know you and trust that your circle is complete.I wish you all the happiness and joy as you raise your little girl. I am reminded each time I think of your family what your Daddy’s favorite Quote is

LOVE NEVER LOSES!!!! I wish I could hug you and let you know my astounding joy for all of you. Thank you for sharing your journey! It gives me hope!!! I love you and can not wait to meet MS.Avery Marie!!! Love Dorothy

Anonymous said...

Phillip & Gina,

We are so happy for the 3 of you!! God's timing is always perfect. You are a special couple -- no, make that family -- to us. We sincerely appreciate your faithfulness to God and to each other. You are such an encouragement and a blessing. May the Lord continue to richly bless you. Always keep Him first and you'll never be disappointed. (As you can tell!!)

We love ya'll.
Dwayne, Becky, Delaina, and Colt

Anonymous said...

What a blessing! Avery looks so cute in her little pink dress and headband! I have prayed for you both for years and I will now continue to pray for the "three" of you. God always far exceeds our expectations- doesn't he! Drew is in love-he has been telling everyone how precious Avery is.

Love.
Dalleen

I am.... said...

Gina,

She is precious!!!! I just cannot tell you how excited I am for you and Phillip. We know how long this road has been. But I'm sure you can see God's hand and purpose in all of this now. He's created your perfect family.

We love you,
Kevin and Denise

Anonymous said...

Gina,

I am so happy for you guys. You deserve this so much. Congradulations. She is so beautiful....congrats

Felicia

Anonymous said...

Dear Phillip and Gina,
What a blessing to see answered prayers in God's time. His timing is always perfect. Avery is such a beautiful blessing, children are no doubt a wonderful gift from God!
We are very happy that this day has came for such two wonderful people and great friends. Avery is blessed already to have a Mother and Father that love God and will teach her to do so as well. Looking forward to sharing Avery's life with you.

Praying for you always,
Todd,Michelle,and Chandler

Anonymous said...

Dear neighbors, friends and most importantly - my brother and sister in Christ... When you brought Avery home and found out she was yours... did you think...man...this is a love like no other and just maybe...you were able to get a smidgen of what our Heavenly Father is going to feel when He brings us "home" one day!! God is good!! Love ya. Wendy

The Rodney Holmes Family said...

As I sit in the library in Ripley, VA I am bawling after I read the blog and saw the pictures. People are probably wondering what is wrong with me. Avery is beautiful and is blessed to have a mom and dad who are going to love her with every breath they have.

Rodney & I have been praying for this day for so long. God's timing is perfect, and He has always had you & Phillip chosen for little Avery.

We can't wait to get back to meet her!
Love,
Rodney, Faye, Katie & Josie

Anonymous said...

Dear Avery,
We would like to welcome you to our BIG Dugan family. We love you so much and you have been blessed with a wonderful Mommy and Daddy. We can't wait to see you, hold you, and kiss your little face. Remember to fill up your diaper for Daddy.
Love,
Ian, Amanda, and Isaiah

Gina and Phillip,
We love you and wish you the best. Remember when she sleeps you sleep. We are so happy that God has chosen the two of you. Avery is blessed.
God Bless the Popham Family

Jeanie said...

My Dearsest Gina,
It is so hard to type when you're crying!
My heart is about to explode with joy for you and Phillip!! Trammell and I are not only happy for you, but for Barb & Larry too. We can't wait to meet Avery and see the completeness and joy you and Phillip are feeling!!
It seems like such a short time ago you sat by my side nd watched in awe as I tried to put on make-up. Even at two years old you were such a "girl' and now you have your own little diva!!
Savor every moment!!
We love all THREE of you!!
Love, Trammell & Jeanie

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy for you. I can personally say I know what Gina
has gone through and I am so happy for the both of you.
She is so beautiful.......XOXOXOXO

Love Pam

Anonymous said...

My heart is filled with such joy! Welcome Avery Marie Popham. You are muched loved not only by your Mommy and Daddy but by everyone that has been along this journey. You were worth the wait. You are such a lucky little angel. As you Godfather, Uncle Mark says, "You were born of the heart." Just know if your Mom and Dad say no, come to your Godmother, Aunt Krista and I will see what I can do.

Gina and Phillip,
God Bless you both. This may have been a long journey but God knew what he was doing. To see that precious face and know He had a hand in giving you both your hearts desire. Mark and I will always be here if you ever need us.

Love to you all,
Aunt Krista and Uncle Mark

lance&becky said...

Dear Phillip & Gina,

God has truly blessed you with each other and now your beautiful daughter. We are so happy for both of you. A child is blessing from God. Avery could not have picked a better mom and dad.

Love,
Lance, Becky, Jeremy & Jacob

Anonymous said...

Avery,
I am telling you from experience that our god is an awesome god. We can do all things through him. The power of prayer is real. I've only been around for a few months, but prayer got me where i am today, and prayer will get you where you are tomorrow. Your family in WV can't wait to see you. May GOD be with you, your mom and dad, and the doctors that you will be seeing.

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you. I am sitting at work reading this story listening to a conference call, when asked, "Is this correct Mike?" (I had no idea what they were talking about.)Gina and Phillip, it has been a long time coming. I can not imagine how happy you must be. It goes without saying, you both will be awesome parents. Avery is BEAUTIFUL! Get on the couch, put that baby right under your neck, her bottom in your armpit and enjoy those naps. My co-workers name is Tyson Avery...needless to say he loves her name. Phillip write AMP on your ball glove, you will catch every thing. I am sure my sister Michelle will enjoy letting you know that her initials are MAP!! And she can not wait to swap baby tales with her best friend Gina. Congrats and love to all.

Anonymous said...

Gina,
I just cry everytime I read your page. The faith that you and Phillip have had just amazes me. I look up to you so much for that. Avery is so beautiful; a perfect angel sent from Heaven. Kenny and I prayed many nights specifically for you and Phillip and the new baby that we knew the Lord would bless you with. His timeing is perfect. I can't wait to see her!!
And I hate to say it, but I told you so (that you would have a baby girl) !!

Love,
Jessie

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you 3!!! Thank you for sharing your story. What a blessing What a mighty God we sereve.
We love you
John, Traci, Rachel & Emily

Anonymous said...

Gina and Phillip,
She is beautiful!!!! I can't wait to see her in person. I know you have began a journey that you will enjoy so much. I am keeping all of you in my prayers.
Gina, try not to spoil her too much. It will be okay for you to lay her down for her naps. Mommy has to stay well rested because you ave just began your new journey as a mom........

Sherry Guinn

Ownby said...

Dear Gina and Phillip,
God bless you and your little girl! Your daughter is so beautiful. She has the eyes of an angel! God sure works in mysterious ways. We weren't supposed to be stationed in Traverse City, Michigan, but at the last minute, we ended up being transferred there. It was there that we signed up with Bethany, and 9 months later were blessed with our daughter, Amelia. Four years later, we got orders to move to Cape May, New Jersey, but at the last minute we got those orders, once again, changed, and ended up in Martinsburg, West Virginia. This is where I met and talked with Kenda about our adopted daughter that we have because of Bethany! I got a great big tearful hug from Kenda a few weeks ago when she told me that you have been blessed with a child of your own through Bethany. I know God had his hand in where we have been ordered to move each time. You can find Amelia on Bethany's site under Domestic Adoptions, FAQ. Kenda has our email if you want to chat! GOD BLESS YOUR BEAUTIFUL FAMILY! Kimmy

Anonymous said...

Gina,

That darling little girl! I know this is a dream come true! I love seeing the new pictures of Avery and your family. I will miss you so much at work, you are a very special person and I love you. Take good care and I hope to see you and Avery soon.

Mindy