Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fever of 105...Oh My

Avery gave us a scare on Friday evening. She had not felt well on Thursday and on Friday she run a temp all day from 100-101. I called Dr. Miller at 4:15 and they told me to watch her temp and if it was still the same in the morning I could take her to the on call doctor. Around 6:00 pm on Friday I took her temp and it was 102.5, this concerned. I was really thinking she was teething but Dr. Miller's office said they usually don't see teething temp go up to 101, they usually stay low like 99-100. Phillip and I decided to take Avery to the ER...we took her to our local ER, we really didn't think we had any reason to be alarmed. I fed Avery on the way and she ate. When we arrived at the ER, they took her back to triage and when they took her temp it was 105.2, I looked at Phillip and he looked at me and we both had fear in our eyes. I wanted to tell the lady, "you need to re-take her temp, that's not correct". Almost immediately after they took Avery's temp she started to get sick, it was all over me and her and it was everything she had just ate. I felt helpless. : ( The nurse left the room and came back to tell us they were getting a room for Avery but had to move someone out in order to take her back. They started her off with a dose of Tylenol and then came all the tests...blood work, urine test, x-rays. All tests came back normal. It was determined Avery has a viral infection. When we left the ER her temp was still 102.5. We got home around 1am and Avery went to sleep, but at 4 am she woke up and her temp was back up to 104.5. We called the on-call doctor for Dr. Miller and he told us to take her to Children's Heathcare so off we went at 4:30am. OK... we learned our lesson on the ER we will always take Avery to the children's hospital, the bedside manner was so good and when we left there our minds were at ease. They more or less told us this would just have to take it's coarse. Please keep Avery in your prayers as we work through this rough patch. She is home and resting.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope she feels better soon! Those high fevers can be scary!!!
Angela

The Knights said...

I hope she gets better soon! I cannot even imagine how scary and helpless yall must feel! Let me know if we can do anything!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for her Gina!! We love ya'll!!

Anonymous said...

Missed you at church! Hope Avery is feeling better!

Darlene

The Dugan's said...

It's never fun to see your little one so sick! Glad she is feeling better!

The Rodney Holmes Family said...

We've been praying for you guys. She'll bounce back before you know it!

MiMi/Pappy said...

We have been praying as many others are also. I know Gods sent His angels to protect Avery and to give you and Phillip strenght...we love you all and wish we were there with you

Anonymous said...

I know how scary a sick baby can be. You are all in my prayers. Hugs and kisses to Miss Avery. Vickie Owens

Hodges Five said...

High fevers are so scary! Elijah's got up to 105.4, back during the spring, it was so scary...it too was viral. UGH!

Hodges Five said...

Oh and yes...we too have learned we go straight to the Children's Healthcare!