Friday, October 3, 2008

Post Surgery Update...

We are all home and Avery is doing good. We arrived home yesterday (10/2/08) around 12 pm. Avery was a real fighter and she pulled through problem free... We arrived at the hospital at 6:32am on Wednesday and Avery was so quiet, now remember the last time she had formula was at midnight, she did take the pedilyte up until 4:45am. I know prayer is what brought us through that time because like I said before Avery eats every 2-3 hours. When Avery finally had to drink the pedilyte I told her... I know your Aunt Jenn has been up all night praying for you and when I talked to my mom she said Jennifer had prayed for Avery all night and she put a book in a position that in case she fell asleep her hand would move and the book would drop and she would wake up. What a wonderful sister and aunt. We waited in a room for the nurse to come take Avery to surgery and they finally arrrived at around 8:20am. Avery had just fell asleep after fussing just a little because she wanted a bottle. Todd, our youth pastor was there with us and he prayed over Avery before they took her down. The nurse called to let us know that Avery was out of surgery so we headed upstairs... when we opened the door to go back to the rooms Todd said, hold on I see a baby with black hair and I as soon as I heard her crying I went right in the direction and started calling Avery's name and she stopped crying when she heard my voice, boy was that the most amazing feeling to know that I comforted her that quick. I will never forget that moment when Todd spotted Avery... the only thing you could see was the hospital bed (full size) with this tiny little black head peeping out. I wanted to cry when they put her in my arm because she was crying so hard and so much that she could not get her breath at times and this made me hurt so much. You could see Phillip and I just passing looks back and forth between each other... like what have we done. Avery done so good for someone that just had a major surgery, he mouth is full of this appliance, we could not get her normal bottle in her mouth at first, but we are working on it... we had to go back to the old bottle that she used when she was born. It just breaks my heart when I look inside her mouth, it just looks so painful. The night was not bad at all... Avery was on Tylenol with Codine and she did pretty good, just fussy sometimes, but slept on and off for most of the night. Yesterday was tough she was very fussy and just not happy at all about the appliance and not being able to get her bottle comfortable. I know she was very sore. Today is much better I feel like my baby is back and on the road to being her happy little self... It was so hard when we could not get her to smile at us, she ALWAYS smiles. She is smiling today and playing a little, she is even talking about something and she just goes on and on, I think she is letting us know that she was not happy with the surgery. : ) I am adding a few pictures... We just want to thank you ALL SO MUCH for your prayers, I have called on God so much and I know He has been in control and with us every step of the way. I was not sure if I posted this but... Her lip surgery is on November 3, 2008.





Avery and Phillip in the waiting room at Scottish Rite... Waiting for surgery.



Avery with her tiny hospital arm band on.



Just after surgery... breaks my heart. You can see on her left arm they have her hooked to an IV.

Avery with her daddy resting after surgery.


This a little picture of the appliance... you can see the screw that we have to start tightening on Saturday 10-4-08.. we have to turn one full turn each day this will pull her gums closer together, this makes surgery easier for the plastic surgeon.


I just love this picture that is why I posted it... Avery is laying on Phillip and the cord is between her toes, it does not bother her a bit. : ) She know her daddy has her and all is right in the world at that moment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that things went well. I have been thinking about you all a lot these past few days! Hang in there, this will all be a distant memory before you know it!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are wonderful, although they are heartbreaking as well. Alot of prayers are being sent !!! I wish we could be there with you three. Avery is our angel !!

Palmers said...

Wow! What a trooper, children are so resilient, it is worse on us as parents to see our little ones in pain, but, you guys pulled through! Please give Avery a hug and kiss! We will keep her in our thoughts/prayers on 11/3! Take care too!

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see that the Popham family is doing o.k. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. I know as a parents we worry about everything, but God always always sees us through. Avery is so cute.
love
Amanda

Hodges Five said...

I love the picture of her precious foot too! And, what you said about her being safe in her Daddy's arms, just melts my heart! I am so happy for y'all!
There is something special about a baby girl and her Daddy, huh?

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that to hear things went well you guys are in my prayers.. She is so beutiful!

Elda